yellow and grey

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Moms' Night Out for "Fashion"

In an attempt to launch a business idea and try to expand the audience outside of my extremely supportive friend base, I ventured outside of our little "bubble" and headed down to Vanderbilt last Saturday night for a fashion show featuring local Nashville designers.  Sounds exciting and glamorous, doesn't it? 
I get a call the day before the big event from my self-appointed publicist stating that I needed to put my "A" game on and bust out the designer duds stuffed with business cards because this was an event worth attending.  She scored VIP passes and front row seats and we were going to be sitting with the A-listers of the show.  I completely panic.  Clothes go flying, my kids go unnoticed and get ignored.  Do I go effortlessly chic, or polished and pulled together?  What the hell does that mean anyway?  I start texting pictures to my friends and modeling outfits to my clueless husband.  After several hours and ten cups of coffee, I decide on skinny jeans and a tunic with heels.  Effort"ful" style if you ask me.


Here we are - all dolled up.


Scottie, Jackie (me), Susannah, Jenny


The "Fashion Show", a term I shall use loosely, was not what any of us expected.  We arrived to movie theater seating where the models walk the runway down one side, across the front row, and back up the other side.  Not your typical scene for a catwalk, yet different.  The event was packed full of proud parents and college coeds, but there was no VIP seating, no paparazzi, and no celebrities.
Our hearts and minds were aimed a little too high for this event and we giggled, snickered, and even looked at each other in confusion throughout the two-hour show.  I certainly do not want to take away from the hard work and talent that was put into each designers' creations.  It takes skill, confidence, dedication, and discipline to design a collection even if some of the clothing (another term I shall use loosely) was strange and a bit out there.  Here are a few highlights from the night.






















The event will not go down in the books as the most amazing night of my life, but one I will never forget thanks to three beautiful women who braved the unexpected with me.   I did love that proceeds from the event went to soles4souls, a Nashville based charity that recycles shoes for people in need.  We had a great time and drove home laughing hysterically at some of the bizarre looks of the night both on and off the runway.  We were even able to "songify" about it on our IPhones.  Just maybe, you will be able to hear it one day.  


Effortlessly Yours - Jackie